07 May 2006

Jesse, I'm lonely, come home

Whew, where did that week go? And why am I asking you? Who are you anyway? You come in here, giving it all that.

Quick re-cap. I came of age on Tuesday. Of the age of 37 that it is. After work H and I went for dinner at Gabriels Wharf and then on to see the utterly fantastic Janis Ian (An Evening With) at the Queen Elizabeth Hall.
How good is Janis Ian? About as bloody brilliantly good as anybody singing with a guitar can be. It was a goose-pimply evening - and that's not a criticism of the air-co. The new stuff was great, Janis was funny, and those old songs. Wow. And the silver ball atop of the icing on the well-iced cake was Jesse as an encore. I could hardly speak when we left and walked back to Waterloo.

I have started taking evening classes again - and this Wednesday marked the second part of 'Collecting for the Nation'. It's all about how the major London art galleries came into being...why they exist at all and how changes in taste have shaped what they are.
The evening was spent at the National Gallery peering at the paintings which formed the orginal collection at 100 Pall Mall. Fascinating stuff. Well I think so.

Thursday I'm back on my bike and the sun is shining down like it's some crazy hot country. The tube lines buckle, and Jude nearly collapses from heat exhaustion halfway round her evening walk. I have started to read 'The Bell' by Iris Murdoch and only a dozen or so pages in I am totally captivated by Murdochism. I find it hard to believe that I have only ever read one novel by her - 'The Sea, The Sea' - which has to be one of the best books I have ever read. There's nothing like having a really good book on the go.

Friday and I've got Monday on my mind...or is that...oh I don't know. I finally get an evening to paw over my lovely birthday presents. Mmm...CDs: Lou Reed's The Bells, Toyah's Anthem (oh yes - I am not ashamed to admit that I regard this as a classic pop album), Belle & Sebastian, the Kooks, The Zutons...then there's the DVD's - Sparks Live, Dave's Serious Moonlight (ooh that hair - wowser - yellow meringue), Woody Allen in Play It Again Sam and Tim Burton's Corpse Bride. Blimey, hardly time for my tea.

Saturday means an extra long walk for Jude, and for me, a day spent trying to figure out how my CD/DVD writer (another fabulous birthday present) works. The instructions are clearly written for somebody who knows what the hell he is doing and that ain't me. I manage to turn my photos into multiple files and generally get confused. Please will somebody offer to help me? So I do something I can do and cook dinner. We relax with a bottle of Rioja and the dark dark dark black comedy Happiness, which is anything but. A little Larry David raises our spirits before lights out.

Which brings me bang up to date with today. The Docklands Museum with K,H&B. It's good - really - especially if you live here I guess, and I do. Lots of things dug out of the silt. Clay pipes, whale jawbones and other bits and bobs. Great photos too by Crispin Hughes.

This was followed by an al fresco lunch at Browns which somehow lasted 3 hours. Jude and I dodged the footballs in the park. I am so paranoid about walking past people playing football because always always always the ball ends up coming flying towards me, and they always always always expect me to kick the ball back. Well, I am well aware that if I so much as attempt to kick a football I end up embarrassing myself. It never goes in the right direction, or I miss it. Or I fall over. So I pretend I am both unware of the balls which roll towards me and deaf to the cries of 'Oy, mate, over 'ere!' Jude is so ashamed of me and who can blame her.

3 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Over on the left it says quite clearly, "No more journal type entries."
Ahem... I want me money back.

08 May, 2006 07:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

19 July, 2006 14:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

22 July, 2006 18:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home